Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

My wings are currently clipped.
Well, today marks the start of a new year. Since my last update, I've managed to accumulate exactly 1.6 more hours aloft by taking a friend with me on a 'discovery' flight for her birthday. With those 1.6 hours, I now have a total of around 15 hours logged, or theoretically 37% of the way to my license. I also spent some time in the plush seats as I flew commercial to go see my girlfriend at the end of July/beginning of August. I look forward to the day when I can bypass the gropefest completely and simply fly myself there.

To help bring that to pass, I intend to start flying again at some point this year. The main reason I stopped flying was a mismanagement of money on my part. Now that I've gotten that identified and somewhat straightened out, I can hopefully be able to return to the skies at a consistent pace and actually finish my training. My written exam is already taken and waiting in my room, but it expires this month. I'll have to retake it and get a physical to get everything going smoothly again.

I hope my skills are not too rusty so I don't have to spend much time money reviewing stuff I already know. Of course, since I likely will not be taking the lessons through Mt. Sac's College Aviation anymore, I expect any new flight instructor to want to spend a couple flights just seeing where my skill level is. Come to think of it, my CFI from Mt. Sac got hired to a regional anyway, so I'd still have to get a new instructor even if I was returning there. But after all those formalities, I hope it doesn't take much more than 3-4 more months total to finish up the certificate.

As usual, I'll be posting updates on the progress. Flying has always been a dream of mine ever since my parents used to take me to the hill south of LAX to watch plane traffic. I'd like to land at LAX for myself one day, so getting the necessary training done is a priority on my to-do list now. Happy new year and safe flying!

Photo by San Diego Air & Space Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment